News: The Union cabinet has approved a scheme to provide affordable rental housing complexes(ARHCs) to urban migrants and poor as a sub-scheme of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(PMAY)(Urban).
- The scheme had been announced under the Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Housing and Urban affairs.
- Approach: The scheme will have a two-pronged approach:
- The existing vacant government funded housing complexes will be converted into ARHCs through a concession agreement for 25 years.
- Special incentives like use permission, 50% additional Floor Area Ratio, concessional loan at priority sector lending rates, tax reliefs at par with affordable housing will be offered to private and public entities to develop ARHCs on their own available vacant land for 25 years.
- Beneficiaries: A large part of the workforce in manufacturing industries, service providers in hospitality, health and construction or other sectors, labourers, students who come from rural areas or small towns seeking better opportunities will be the target beneficiary under ARHCs.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(Urban): The scheme was launched in 2015 to provide Central assistance to implementing agencies through States/Union Territories (UTs) for providing houses to all eligible families/beneficiaries by 2022.