News:Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) has given its approval to set up a National Technical Textiles Mission with a total outlay of Rs 1480 Crore.
About Technical Textiles:
- Technical textiles are textiles materials and products manufactured primarily for technical performance and functional properties rather than aesthetic characteristics.
About the mission:
- The mission aims at increasing the size of the technical textiles in the domestic market to $40 billion which would require an average growth of at least 10% per annum.
- The mission will have a four year implementation period from FY 2020-21 to 2023-24.
- A Mission Directorate in the Ministry of Textiles headed by an eminent expert in the related field will be made operational for the mission.
Components of the mission:
- Component-l: Promoting both a) fundamental research at fibre level and (ii) application based research in geo-textiles, agro-textiles, medical textiles among others,
- Component-II: Promotion and Market Development.
- Component-III: Export promotion of technical textiles and ensuring 10% average growth in exports per year upto 2023-24.An Export Promotion Council for Technical Textiles will be set up for this purpose.
- Component-IV: Promoting technical education at higher engineering and technology levels related to technical textiles.