What is the News?
The Union Cabinet approves the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Nidhi (PMSSN).
About Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Nidhi(PMSSN):
This program will ensure access to universal & affordable health care through a fund that does not lapse at the end of the financial year.
- It has been set up as a single non-lapsable reserve fund for a share of Health.
- It will be made from the share of health in the proceeds of Health and Education Cess.
- The fund will be administered and maintained by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
Note: Finance Minister announced the 4% Health and Education Cess during the Budget 2018-19. It replaced the existing 3% Education Cess.
How will the fund be utilised? The fund will be utilized for the following flagship schemes of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare:
- Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY)
- Ayushman Bharat – Health and Wellness Centres (AB-HWCs)
- National Health Mission
- Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY)
- Emergency & disaster preparedness and responses during health emergencies
- Any future programme/scheme that targets to achieve progress towards SDGs and the targets set out in the National Health Policy (NHP) 2017.