News: Union Cabinet has approved a public Wi-Fi access network called PM-WANI (Wi-Fi Access Network Interface).
- Aim: To enable easily accessible public Wi-Fi hotspots spread across the country.
- Stakeholders: PM-WANI will be operated by different players as described herein under:
- Public Data Office(PDO): It will establish, maintain, and operate only WANI compliant Wi-Fi Access Points and deliver broadband services to subscribers.
Read Also :-GS Paper 1 Previous year Questions
- Public Data Office Aggregator(PDOA): It will be an aggregator of PDOs and perform the functions relating to Authorization and Accounting.
- App Provider: It will develop an App to register users and discover WANI compliant Wi-Fi hotspots in the nearby area and display the same within the App for accessing the internet service.
- Central Registry: It will maintain the details of App Providers, PDOAs and PDOs. To begin with, the Central Registry will be maintained by the Centre for Development of Telematic (C-DOT).
- Other Features:
- There would be no license fee for providing broadband internet through these public Wi-Fi networks.