1.The Government approved hike in the cost of Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP) and time extension by two year.
2.The hike in DRIP from Rs 2,100 crore to Rs 3,466 crore, to improve safety and operational performance of 198 Dams in 11 states
- The programme will be funded by World Bank, respective States and the Central Water Commission (CWC).
- The project will improve the safety and operational performance of dams and mitigate risks for downstream population and property.
- It will work in Rehabilitation of Dam and its related Structures, Institutional Strengthening and Project Management
- Reasons for extension and hike
- Kerala which saw devastating floods raises question on the management and security of dams
- Only 50% of the dams have completed the task of maintenance however, its impact is not yet visible on the ground
- The operational and hydrological safety of dams is part of safety measures, which was ignored earlier