Source: The Hindu
News: The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the export of the Akash Missile system. It also approved the high-level committee formed to expedite clearance of such exports.
- Akash Missile: It is an indigenously developed short range Surface-to-air missile with multi-target engagement capability.
- Developed by: The missile has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The Missile has been inducted and is operational with the Indian Air Force(IAF) as well as the Indian Army(IA).
- Key Features:
- The missile has a strike range of 25 km.It can reach an altitude of 18 km and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms.
- It has a large operational envelope from a low altitude of 30 metres to a maximum of up to 20 km.
- The system can simultaneously engage multiple targets in Group Mode or Autonomous Mode.
- It has built-in Electronic Counter-CounterMeasures(ECCM) features.The entire weapon system has been configured on mobile platforms.
- In August 2020, the Defence Ministry has issued a draft ‘Defence Production & Export Promotion Policy (DPEPP) 2020’ for public feedback with the aim to achieve a manufacturing turnover of $25 bn or ₹1,75,000 crore, including exports of $5 bn in aerospace and defence goods and services by 2025.