News:Union Tribal minister has launched the ‘Capacity Building Programme for Scheduled Tribe Pri Representatives’ and ‘1000 Springs Initiatives’.
About Capacity Building Initiative:
- Aim:To empower tribal Panchayati Raj institutions(PRI) representatives by improving their decision making capabilities at the local government level.
- It also focuses on constitutional and legal provisions that protect and promote the rights and welfare of the tribal population and ensures greater participation of ST PRIs representatives in planning, execution and monitoring of government policies and programmes.
About Spring Atlas:
- Springs are natural sources of groundwater discharge and have been used extensively in the mountainous regions across the world, including India.
- However, in the central and eastern Indian belt with more than 75% tribal population, it remains largely unrecognized and under-utilized.
- An online portal on GIS-based Spring Atlas has been developed to make this data easily accessible from an online platform.Presently, data of more than 170 springs have been uploaded on the Spring Atlas.
About 1000 Springs Initiative:
- Aim:To improve the accessibility of safe and adequate water for the tribal communities who are living in difficult and inaccessible areas of rural India.
- The initiative includes provision of infrastructure for piped water supply for drinking; provision of water for irrigation; community-led total sanitation initiatives and provision for water for backyard nutrition gardens, generating sustainable livelihood opportunities for the tribal people.