List of Contents
Source: The post is based on the article “CAQM formulates comprehensive policy to abate the menace of air pollution in Delhi-NCR” published in PIB on 13th July 2022.
What is the News?
Commission for Air Quality Management in NCR & Adjoining Areas(CAQM) has formulated a Comprehensive Policy to abate the menace of air pollution in Delhi-NCR.
The Supreme Court of India in Aditya Dubey and Anr v/s UOI & Ors had directed CAQM to find a permanent solution to the air pollution menace occurring every year in Delhi and NCR.
Based on these directions of the Supreme Court, the Commission constituted an Expert Group to come up with a comprehensive policy.
What is the Comprehensive Policy to abate the menace of air pollution in Delhi-NCR?
Aim: To abate air pollution primarily in Delhi and NCR.
Coverage: The policy has given suggestions to prevent and control air pollution from industries, vehicles, construction and demolition(C&D), municipal solid waste burning, crop residue burning etc.
Key Actions suggested by the policy: The policy has suggested short-term (up to one year), medium-term (one-three years) and long-term (three-five years, preferably) actions. Some of the actions include:
– Widespread access to affordable clean fuels and technology in industry, transport and households
– Mobility transition includes mass transit, electrification of vehicles, building walking and cycling infrastructure and reducing personal vehicle usage etc.
– Circular economy for material recovery from waste to prevent its dumping and burning.
– Dust management from C&D activities, roads/Right of Ways (RoW) and open areas with appropriate technology, infrastructure and greening measures.
– Strict time-bound implementation, improved monitoring and compliance.