What is the News?
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) for 2021-26.
What is Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana(PMKSY)?
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) was launched in 2015.
Aim: To enhance physical access of water on farms and expand cultivable areas under assured irrigation, improve on-farm water use efficiency, introduce sustainable water conservation practices among others.
What are the components of PMKSY?
– Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme(AIBP): It is being implemented by the Ministry of Jal Shakti. It aims to provide financial support to irrigation projects.
Under the programme, central funding of 90% of the water component for two national projects, namely the Renukaji Dam Project in Himachal Pradesh and Lakhwar Multipurpose Project in Uttarakhand.
– Har Khet Ko Pani(HKKP): It is being implemented by the Ministry of Jal Shakti. It aims for the enhancement of physical access to the farm and the expansion of cultivable areas under assured irrigation. It consists of four subcomponents namely: Command Area Development (CAD), Surface Minor Irrigation(SMI), Repair, Renovation and Restoration(RRR) of Water Bodies and Ground Water Development component.
– Per Drop More Crop: It is being implemented by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare. It focuses on enhancing water use efficiency at the farm level through Micro Irrigation technologies, viz. Drip and Sprinkler irrigation systems.
– Watershed Development: It is being implemented by the Department of Land Resources, Ministry of Rural Development. It focuses on the development of rainfed areas towards soil and water conservation, regeneration of groundwater, arresting run-off and promoting extension activities related to water harvesting and management.
|Read more: Describe the role of micro-irrigation in increasing the water-use efficiency.|
Source: This post is based on the following articles
– “CCEA nod to extension of irrigation scheme” published in Indian Express on 16th Dec 2021.
– “Govt extends PMKSY till FY26 with an outlay of ₹93,068 crore” published in Livemint on 16th Dec 2021.
– “Cabinet approves implementation of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana for 2021-26” published in PIB on 16th Dec 2021.