News: Defence minister has approved the launch of the Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme(DTIS) with an outlay of ₹400 crore.
- Aim:To promote indigenous defence production with special focus on participation of MSMEs and Start Ups by bridging gaps in defence testing infrastructure in the country.
- Duration:The scheme would run for the duration of five years and envisages to set up six to eight new test facilities in partnership with private industry.
- Government will provide up to 75% funding in the form of ‘Grant-in-Aid’.
- The remaining 25% of the project cost will have to be borne by the Special Purpose Vehicle(SPV) whose constituents will be Indian private entities and State Governments.
- The SPVs under the scheme will be registered under Companies Act 2013.
- Significance:It will facilitate indigenous defence production, consequently reduce imports of military equipment and help make the country self-reliant.