List of Contents
Source: The post is based on the article “Centre is trying to curb lumpy skin disease: PM” published in The Hindu on 13th September 2022.
What is the News?
The PM has addressed the inaugural session of the four-day International Dairy Federation World Dairy Summit (IDF WDS) 2022.
What is the International Dairy Federation World Dairy Summit (IDF WDS) 2022?
Organized by: International Dairy Federation(IDF)
Hosted by: India
Purpose: To allow participants to share knowledge and ideas on how the global dairy sector can contribute to nourishing the world population through safe and sustainable dairying.
Theme: ‘Dairy for Nutrition and Livelihood’
Note: The last dairy summit was held in India about half a century ago in 1974.
India’s Dairy Sector: India is ranked 1st in milk production contributing 23 % of global milk production. Milk production in the country has grown at a compound annual growth rate of about 6.2 % to reach 209.96 mn tonnes in 2020-21 from 146.31 mn tonnes in 2014-15.
– The top 5 milk-producing states are Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh.
What are the key highlights of PM’s address to the summit?
– India’s dairy sector is characterized by “production by masses” more than “mass production”.
– There are no middlemen in this dairy sector. More than 70 per cent of the money received from the customers goes directly to the farmers,
– Women have a 70% representation in the workforce in India’s dairy sector. More than a third of the members of dairy cooperatives in India are women.
– India is building the largest database of dairy animals and every animal associated with the dairy sector is being tagged with biometric identification named – Pashu Aadhaar.
– The total value of dairy production in the country is about Rs 8.5 lakh crore, which is more than the combined value of paddy and wheat production.
– By 2025, India will vaccinate 100% of the animals against foot and mouth disease and brucellosis. The government is also working with several states to control lumpy skin disease(LSD) reported across several states.