What is the News?
The Ministry of Women and Child Development has decided to set up One Stop Centres (OSCs) in foreign countries. These centers will provide assistance to Indian women who are survivors of gender-based violence.
About One Stop Centres(OSCs) in Foreign Countries:
- One-Stop Centres(OSCs) will be set up at the ten foreign missions of India.
- Purpose: They are aimed at helping women overseas who are victims of violence in public and private spaces.
- They can approach the centres for immediate as well as non-immediate support including legal aid, medical support, and counseling.
- There are 10 countries where the OSCs will be set up. They are Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, UAE, Jeddah, and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia, Australia, Canada, and Singapore.
- Ministry: These centres will be supported by the Women and Child Development Ministry and operated by the External Affairs Ministry.
About One Stop Centre(OSC) Scheme:
- One-Stop Centre Scheme was launched in 2015 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- The scheme provides integrated support and assistance to women affected by violence, both in private and public spaces under one roof.
- To facilitate a range of services including medical, legal, psychological, and counseling support under one roof to fight against any forms of violence against women.
- Target Group: The OSC will support all women including girls below 18 years of age affected by violence, irrespective of caste, class, religion, region, sexual orientation, or marital status.
- Nodal Scheme: OSC is a subscheme of Umbrella Scheme for National Mission for Empowerment of women including Indira Gandhi Mattritav Sahyaog Yojana.
Source: Indian Express