List of Contents
What is the news?
The Central Government reconstitutes an advisory committee for studying the mythical Saraswati river for the next two years. The earlier panel’s term ended in 2019.
About the Advisory Committee on Saraswati River:
- The Archaeological Survey of India(ASI) had first set up the Advisory Committee for the Study of the River Saraswati in 2017 for two years. The committee has now been reconstituted.
- Purpose: To study the mythical Saraswati river and draw up a plan to identify its basin and define its path.
- Chaired by: The committee is chaired by the Culture Minister.
- Members: It includes officials from
- The Ministry of Culture, Tourism, Water Resources, Environment and Forest, Housing and Urban Affairs;
- Representatives of ISRO;
- Governments officials of Gujarat, Haryana, and Rajasthan and
- An ASI official.
About Saraswati River:
- Sarasvati River is a mystical river mentioned in the Rig Veda and later Vedic and post-Vedic texts. The river played an important role in the Vedic religion appearing in all but the fourth book of the Rigveda.
About Archaeological Survey of India(ASI):
- ASI is the premier organization for the archaeological research, scientific analysis, excavation of archaeological sites, conservation, and preservation of protected monuments.
- Nodal Ministry: It is an attached office under the Department of Culture, Ministry of Culture.
- Founded in: It was founded in 1861 by Alexander Cunningham. He was the first Director-General of ASI.
Source: The Hindu