The government has constituted a new task force led by NITI Aayog vice-chairman Rajiv Kumar to recommend measures to increase employment by promoting labour-intensive exports.
What is the reason for setting up a new panel?
Following are the reasons:
- While the Indian workforce has high aspirations, a majority of the workers are still employed in low-productivity, low-wage jobs in small, micro and own-account enterprises.
- An urgent and sustained expansion of the organized sector is essential to address India’s unemployment and under-employment issue.
What is the key strategy? What is the shift in the policy?
Following is the main strategy and change in policy:
- The most important strategy is to enable a shift towards more labour-intensive goods and services that are destined for exports.
- Given the importance of exports in generating jobs, India needs to create an environment in which globally competitive exporters can emerge and flourish.
- The committee has been asked to submit its report by November 2017.