What is the News?
National public broadcaster Prasar Bharati has floated a tender to establish a new channel named DD International on the lines of BBC World.
About DD International:
- DD International will be the second channel of Doordarshan after DD India.
- Purpose: The DD International channel will aim to be a truly global channel like BBC World. It will ensure that not just the Indian diaspora but also a global audience watches it.
- To provide India’s point of view globally on contemporary issues of both global and domestic significance. It will also tell India’s story to a global audience.
- To be the authoritative global media source on India. This will be achieved through a credible, exhaustive and accurate global news service.
- Prasar Bharati will set up bureaus across the globe for the channel and also identify locations for the bureaus. It would also have 24×7 world service streams with the prioritising of geography-specific streams.
- Difference: The channel will differ from DD India as it serves a mix of domestic and global news. Further, DD India is targeted mainly at the Indian diaspora settled outside the country.
Source: Indian Express