Vice President has unveiled the Red Atlas Action Plan Map and Coastal Flood Warning System App(CFLOWS-Chennai).
About Red Atlas Action Plan Map:
- The Atlas has been prepared by the Ministry of Earth Sciences to aid Tamil Nadu government in effective flood mitigation in Chennai.
- It was prepared with the help of India Meteorological Department (IMD), National Centre for Coastal Research(NCCR) and National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting(NCMRWF) in association with TN State Disaster Management Authority(SDMA) and Greater Chennai Corporation.
Significance of the atlas:
- The atlas with probable scenarios for different rainfall periods is aimed at flood mitigation, preparedness, operations and management aspects.
- The manual provides information including on corporation wards that are likely to be affected due to flooding and the areas that may need evacuation in Chennai taking into account all historical datasets.
About Coastal Flood Warning System App(CFLOWS-Chennai):
- CFLOWS is a complete webGIS-based decision support system that can be used both for mitigation planning operations before flooding and in real time to for aspects like relief work.
- It is an integrated system that involves coupling models of regional weather forecasts,storm surges and captures about 796 flood scenarios.
- The app was launched by the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT).
- The app can simulate the scenario and predict what will happen in a particular area.
- The National Institute of Ocean Technology(NIOT) was established in November 1993 as an autonomous society under the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India.
- The aim of NIOT is to develop reliable indigenous technologies to solve various engineering problems associated with harvesting of non-living and living resources in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone(EEZ) which is about two-thirds of the land area of India.