News: Indian government has supplied a consignment of two Mobile Harbour Cranes- MHC to Chabahar Port in Iran.
Source: Indian Express
- Chabahar Port: It is a seaport in Chabahar located in southeastern Iran, It is located on the Makran coast of Sistan and Baluchistan Province, next to the Gulf of Oman and at the mouth of the Strait of Hormuz.
- It is the only Iranian port with direct access to the Indian Ocean and consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantari and Shahid Beheshti.
- The bilateral contract between Iran and India was signed in 2016 for Equipping, Mechanizing and starting Operations at Shahid Beheshti Port of Chabahar development Phase- I.
- To achieve this ambitious aim, an SPV namely India Ports Global Limited (IPGL) Mumbai was incorporated under the ambit of the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways.
Significance of Chabahar Port:
- Strong India-Iran Relations: Development of Chabahar port will boost the maritime trade between India and Iran.
- Gateway to Central Asia: The port has strategic advantage and high potential to provide connectivity of India to Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and other Central Asian countries.
- Security: The port is also beneficial to India in countering Chinese presence in the Arabian Sea which China is trying to ensure by helping Pakistan develop the Gwadar port.
- INSTC: The port is also seen as a feeder port to the International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) that has sea, rail and road routes between India, Russia, Iran, Europe, and Central Asia.