News:Bangladesh railway minister and High Commissioner of India has laid the foundation stone of Chilahati- border railway link.
About Chilahati- border railway link:
- The railway link is a 7.5 kilometre long railway track.It will help in providing connectivity from West Bengal into Assam via Bangladesh.
- This railway link will provide a big boost to trade, travel and tourism between Bangladesh and India.
- The Haldibari- Chilahati railway track was part of the broad gauge main route from Kolkata to Siliguri during the British undivided India.
- The trains from Bangladesh to Darjeeling via Siliguri operated till 1965 which stopped functioning after the 1965 Indo-Pak war.
- Indian Railways has already restored the tracks up to international border till Haldibari station.