- Baishui No. 1 Glacier in China has lost 60% of its mass and shrunk 250 m since 1982, according to a 2018 report in the Journal of Geophysical Research.
- As an impact of climate change, the glacier has lost 60 percent of its mass and shrunk 250 meters (820 feet) since 1982, according to the report.
- Millions of people each year are drawn to Baishui’s frosty beauty on the southeastern edge of the Third Pole.
- About Third pole:
- It is a region in Central Asia with the world’s third largest store of ice after Antarctica and Greenland that’s roughly the size of Texas and New Mexico combined.
- Third Pole glaciers are vital to billions of people from Vietnam to Afghanistan.
- Asia’s 10 largest rivers including the Yangtze, Yellow, Mekong, and Ganges — are fed by seasonal melting.