Source: Click here
News: China has claimed Quantum Supremacy With Computer 10 Billion Times Faster Than Google’s Prototype.
- Quantum Supremacy: It is a term proposed in 2012 by John Preskill, professor of theoretical physics at the California Institute of Technology. It describes the point where quantum computers can do things that classical computers cannot.
- Difference between Quantum and Traditional Computing: Quantum computing differs from traditional computing in the way the two store information.
- The traditional computer stores information in the form of binary bits that can process either ‘1’ or a ‘0’ at a time.
- On the other hand,Quantum computers compute in qubits or quantum bits which means it can be put into a quantum state where they can simultaneously represent both 0 and 1.
- Advantages of Quantum Supremacy: Quantum computers could be put to good use such as for: Strengthening cyber security; Accelerating artificial intelligence; Modeling traffic flows to improve our cities; Developing new medicines among others.
- Concerns: Quantum computing might pose a challenge for the governments because if this technology goes into wrong hands, all the government’s official and confidential data will be at a risk of being hacked and misused.