News:Chithirai festival at the Meenakshi Temple in Madurai has cancelled most of its rituals and ceremonies.But the celestial wedding will be performed in a simple way in the first corridor of the sanctum sanctorum by four priests.
- Chithirai Festival:It is an annual festival celebrated at Meenakshi Temple in Madurai,Tamil Nadu.
- The festival lasts for one month in which the first 15 days marks the celebrations of the coronation of Goddess Meenakshi and the marriage of Lord Sundareswara and Goddess Meenakshi.
- The next 15 days mark the celebrations of the Journey of Lord Alagar from Kallazhagar temple in Alagar Kovil to Madurai.
- Meenakshi-Sundareshwarar temple is dedicated to goddess Meenakshi, the consort of lord Shiva.
- It is situated in the ancient city of Madurai built by the Pandyan king, Kulashekarar in the 6th century B.C.
- But the reign of the Nayaks marks the golden period of Madurai when art, architecture and learning flourished expansively.