Relevance: Understanding UNCLOS and India’s vision of maritime security.
Synopsis: India recently hosted the UNSC summit on maritime security. With such importance being given to the topic, understanding UNCLOS also becomes important.
Problems with UNCLOS: There is friction among many countries because of abuse of maritime rights & disrespect of territorial rights of nations by leading powers like the USA, China, and Russia.
India’s vision of Maritime security
- To remove barriers to legitimize maritime trade through cooperation
- Peaceful resolution of the maritime dispute based on international law
- Collaboration in handling natural disasters and maritime threats created by non-state actors
- Preserving maritime environment and resources
- Encourage responsible maritime connectivity
- Illegitimate maritime claims by various actions like the entrance of vessels in other state waters.
- Unlawful access to maritime resources.
As UNCLOS is the only international convention that provides a framework for state jurisdiction in maritime spaces, India should advocate for ratification of UNCLOS by all major maritime powers like the USA
Terms to know