List of Contents
What is the News?
ICAR-Indian Veterinary Research Institute has transferred the Technology for the Classical swine fever(CSF) & Sheep Pox Vaccines to M/s Hester Biosciences through Agrinnovate India Limited.
About the technology transfer:
ICAR-IVRI has developed both the CSF vaccine and Sheep pox vaccine. But to provide commercialisation and build sustainable public-private partnerships ICAR-IVRI decided to perform technology transfer. Further, the technology transfer will also help in the following,
- It will provide the Vaccine at a cheaper price and ensure longer immunity of livestock.
- It is a great game-changer for the farmers or people involved in animal husbandry practices
About Classical swine fever(CSF):
- Classical swine fever(CSF) also known as hog cholera. It is a contagious viral disease of domestic and wild swine(pigs).
- Caused by: It is caused by a virus of the genus Pestivirus of the family Flaviviridae.
- Transmission: The most common method of transmission is through direct contact between healthy swine and those infected with the CSF virus.
- Humans are not affected by this virus. Swine are the only species known to be susceptible.
- Treatment: The disease has a 100% mortality. However, Vaccination can prevent the spread of the disease.
Vaccine for CSF:
- In India, the disease is controlled by a lapinized CSF vaccine. This vaccine is produced by killing large numbers of rabbits.
- To avoid this, the ICAR-IVRI developed a Cell Culture CSF Vaccine (live attenuated). This is developed using the Lapinized Vaccine Virus from a foreign strain.
- Live attenuated vaccines use a weakened (or attenuated) form of the germ that causes a disease.
- The new vaccine has been extensively tested for safety and potency. It has been found to induce protective immunity from the 14th day of the Vaccination till 18 Months.
About Sheep Pox Disease:
- Sheep Pox is a highly contagious viral disease of sheep caused by a poxvirus.
- The disease is the most severe of all the animal pox diseases. It can result in some of the most significant economic consequences due to poor wool and leather quality.
- Transmission: The sheep pox virus is an aerosol. So it can be transmitted via contact with an infected animal.
- Treatment: There is no treatment for the sheep pox virus, thus efforts are directed towards prevention.
Vaccine for Sheep Pox:
- A live attenuated Sheep Pox Vaccine using indigenous strain was developed by the Institute for preventive vaccination in the sheep population.
- The Vaccine is safe, potent and immunogenic [efficacious] for sheep aged more than six months of age. Also, it protects the Vaccinated animals for a period of 40 months.
Agrinnovate India Limited:
It is a registered Company under the Companies Act, 1956. The Government of India in the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) owns it.
- Firstly, it aims to work on the strengths of DARE’s Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Secondly, Agrinnovate India also promotes the development and spread of R&D and its outcomes through IPR protection, commercialization and forging partnerships for the public benefit.