What is the news?
India along with the United Kingdom has launched a new workstream to promote industrial energy efficiency under the Industrial Deep Decarbonization Initiative (IDDI).
- The workstream was launched at the 12th Chief Energy Ministerial(CEM).
About Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM):
- The Clean Energy Ministerial(CEM) was launched at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Conference Of Parties in Copenhagen in 2009.
- Objective: It is a high-level global forum to promote policies and programs for the development of clean energy technology. It also aims to share experience & best practices encouraging the transition to a global clean energy economy.
- Focus Areas: The CEM is focused on three global climate and energy policy goals:
- Improve energy efficiency worldwide
- Enhance clean energy supply
- Expand clean energy access.
- Member Countries: 29 Countries. India is a member.
About Industrial Deep De-carbonization Initiative (IDDI):
- IDDI is an initiative of the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM).
- Purpose: It is a global coalition of public and private organizations that are working to stimulate demand for low carbon industrial materials. IDDI works to
- Standardize carbon assessments
- Establish ambitious public and private sector procurement targets
- Incentivize investment into low-carbon product development
- Design industry guidelines
- Coordinated by: The initiative is coordinated by UNIDO and is co-led by the UK and India. The initiative also has the support of Germany and Canada.
About United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
It is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability.