What is the News?
The Ministry of Ayush has collaborated with the U.K.’s London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) to conduct a study on ‘Ashwagandha’ for promoting recovery from COVID-19.
About the Study:
- All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Ayush. Under this collaboration, the LSHTM will conduct clinical trials of ‘Ashwagandha’ on 2,000 participants in three U.K. cities.
- The study will be conducted for a period of three months. Under this, one group of 1,000 participants will be administered ‘Ashwagandha’ [AG] tablets, while the second group of 1,000 participants will be assigned a placebo which is indistinguishable from AG in looks and taste.
- These patients will then be observed to understand the effects of Ashwagandha’ in promoting recovery from COVID-19.
- Ashwagandha’ (Withania somnifera) is commonly known as ‘Indian winter cherry ’.
- It is a traditional Indian herb that boosts energy, reduces stress, and makes the immune system stronger.
- Ashwagandha has also shown success in treating both acute and chronic rheumatoid arthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis(RA) is an autoimmune disease that can cause joint pain and damage throughout your body.