News:National Rural Infrastructure Development Agency(NRIDA) has announced that coir geo textiles will be used for construction of rural roads under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY-III).
- Coir geotextiles is a woven net material made of coconut husk.
- It is being used to check soil erosion, road-building and renovation of water bodies and landfills.
- It is naturally resistant to rot, molds and moisture and free from any microbial attack hence it needs no chemical treatment.
- It has the right strength, permeability and durability to protect the slopes from erosion while allowing vegetation to flourish.
- Geotextile: It refers to a permeable synthetic textile material.Generally it is produced from polyester or polypropylene polymers.They are used to increase soil stability, provide erosion control or aid in drainage.
- PMGSY: It was launched in 2000 by the Ministry of Rural Development.It aims to provide connectivity to unconnected habitations as part of a poverty reduction strategy.
- Phase-3 of PMGSY will be implemented from 2019-20 to 2024-25.It proposes to consolidate roads measuring 1.25 lakh km in length.