News:The member states of the United Nations has endorsed a proposed road map for action on nitrogen challenges called Colombo Declaration on Sustainable Nitrogen Management.
About Colombo Declaration:
- The aim of the Colombo Declaration is to halve nitrogen waste by the year 2030.
- The Declaration was developed with technical support from International Nitrogen Management System (INMS).
- The declaration calls upon UN agencies, international organizations, development partners, philanthropic agencies, academic and civil society organizations to support its implementation.
- The event also endorsed the UN plans for a campaign called Nitrogen for Life.The campaign aims at sustainable management of Nitrogen.
- The campaign is based on the Sustainable Management Resolution that was adopted during the fourth session of the UN Environment Assembly that was held in Nairobi, Kenya in March,2019.
- International Nitrogen Management System(INMS) is a joint activity of UNEP and Internationals Nitrogen Initiative.
- It brings together the science community, the private sector and civil society to gather and synthesize evidence that can support international policy development to improve global nitrogen management.
About International Nitrogen Initiative
- The International Nitrogen Initiative(INI) is an international program set up in 2003 under the sponsorship of the Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment(SCOPE) and the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program(IGBP).
- The overall goal of the International Nitrogen Initiative is to optimize nitrogen’s beneficial role in sustainable food production and minimize nitrogen’s negative effects on human health and the environment resulting from food and energy production.