News:Government has decided to set up 118 new community radio stations.
About Community radio stations:
- The Community radio is a radio service offering a third model of radio broadcasting in addition to commercial and public broadcasting.
- They broadcast content that is popular and relevant to a local,specific audience.
How are they operated?
- Community radio stations are operated owned and influenced by the communities they serve.
- They are generally non-profit and provide a mechanism for enabling individuals, groups and communities to tell their own stories to share experiences and in a media-rich world to become creators and contributors of media.
- Currently,there are more than 180 community radio stations across India, broadcasting in languages like Bundelkhandi, Garhwali, Awadhi and Santhali that typically find little or no space on television.