What is the News?
The Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has suggested a five-point reform agenda for the Food Corporation of India(FCI) on the occasion of the 58th Foundation Day of the FCI.
What is the five-point reform agenda suggested by the Food Minister for FCI?
– Change the public perception of FCI from being inefficient & corrupt to dynamic, inclusive & honest.
– Focus on integrating end-to-end tech solutions right from procurement to delivery to achieve operational efficiency & leakage free distribution — reduce PDS response time, beneficiary tracking etc.
– Establish a grievance redressal mechanism to react rapidly to farmer/Farmer Producer Organisation in distress. Reaching out to farmers through “Jan Jagrukta” programmes at the grass-root level to spread awareness.
– Plan for modern infrastructure & logistics. Upgrade warehouses to international standards. Improve storage capacity for the growing need – Power backup, CCTV, robust network facility.
– Adopt the best Global practises making India a ‘Food hub
Source: This post is based on the article “Consumer Affairs Minister suggests 5-point reform agenda for FCI” published in Indian Express on 14th January 2022.