About the CoP-15:
- The theme of the declaration is “Ecological Civilization: Building a Shared Future for All Life on Earth”.
- COP-15 is being held to review the achievement and delivery of the CBD’s Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 and ‘Aichi Biodiversity Targets’.
Key outcomes of the meeting:
The “Kunming Declaration” was adopted by over 100 countries in the ongoing virtual 15th meeting.
- It calls upon the parties to “mainstream” biodiversity protection in decision-making and recognise the importance of conservation in protecting human health.
- They should ensure that the post-pandemic recovery plans contribute to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, promoting sustainable and inclusive development.
- The declaration expects signatory nations to synchronize Biodiversity plans with the three UN decades program which are on ‘Sustainable Development’, ‘Ecosystem Restoration’, ‘Ocean Science for Sustainable Development’.
China established the Kunming Biodiversity Fund to support projects for protecting biodiversity in developing countries.
During the meeting, the Global Environment Facility, with UNDP and the UNEP, announced their commitment to fast-track immediate financial and technical support to developing country governments to prepare for the rapid implementation of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
Involvement of the private sector, world leaders was called for bold reforms.
Adoption of the 30 by 30 Targets: To protect 30% of the Earth’s land and oceans protected status by 2030.