News: Bharat Biotech has come out with a fact sheet about the process involved and who should avoid taking the Covaxin vaccine.
- Covaxin: It has been indigenously developed by Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR).
- Type of vaccine: It is an inactivated vaccine. It means it is made by using particles of the coronavirus that were inactivated by making them incapable to infect or replicate. Injecting particular doses of these particles serves to build immunity by helping the body create antibodies against the dead virus.
Who should not get the Covaxin?
- During the first phase, experts are analyzing the behaviors of vaccines among different types of patients. They have recommended not to vaccinate if a person:
- has any history of allergies
- has a fever
- has a bleeding disorder or are on a blood thinner.
- is immune-compromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system
- is pregnant or breastfeeding.
- has received another COVID-19 vaccine
- Has Any other serious health related issues as determined by the Vaccinator/Officer.