List of Contents
Source: The Hindu
What is the News?
Around nine countries in Europe have given recognition to the Covishield vaccine produced by the Serum Institute of India.
What was the issue?
- A lot of Indian travelers who were vaccinated with Covishield were not eligible for the European Union’s ‘green pass’.
- This was because the European Union had excluded Covishield from the list of approved vaccines for the EU’s Green Pass.
Indian Government’s Response:
- The Government of India had requested the EU Member States to individually consider extending exemptions to those who have been administered Covishield or Covaxin.
- The genuineness of such vaccination certification can be authenticated on the CoWIN portal.
Which countries have now included Covishield?
- The list of the EU Member States that have recognized Covishield as a valid vaccine includes Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Spain.
- Apart from that, Switzerland which is not an EU member has also included Covishield as a valid vaccine.
- Further, Estonia has also recognised all vaccines authorised by the Indian government for travel to Estonia.
Terms to know