News:Cyclone Bulbul has intensified into a severe cyclonic storm causing heavy rain in the coastal districts of Odisha and West Bengal.
About Cyclone Bulbul:
- Cyclone Bulbul is a severe cyclonic storm over the east-central and southeast Bay of Bengal and North Andaman Sea.
- The cyclone has taken place between Sagar Islands (West Bengal) and Khepupara (Bangladesh).
- It is only the fourth tropical cyclone ever recorded to regenerate over the Andaman Sea having crossed Southeast Asia overland.
- The India Meteorological Department(IMD) has also issued an orange alert in Indian states of West Bengal and Odisha over Cyclone Bulbul in the Bay of Bengal.
- The IMD is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India.
- It is the principal agency responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting and seismology
- IMD is mandated to issue warning to people about severe weather phenomenon like cyclones, dust storms, heavy rain and snow, heatwaves among others.