Source: This post is based on the article “Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh dedicates to the Nation Indigeneously built Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Vigraha'” published in PIB on 28th August 2021.
What is the News?
The Defence Minister has commissioned the Indian Coast Guard (ICG)’s offshore patrol vessel (OPV) Vigraha.
About ICGS Vigraha:
- Vigraha is an indigenously built Indian Coast Guard(ICG)’s offshore patrol vessel (OPV).
- Built by: The ship has been designed and built by M/s Larsen & Toubro Shipbuilding Ltd.
- Based at: The ship will be based at Visakhapatnam and operate on India’s Eastern Seaboard.
- Communication Technology: The ship is equipped with advanced radars. The sensors and machinery present in the ship make it capable of operating in tropical sea conditions.
- Carrying Capacity: The ship has been designed to carry one twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats for the purpose of boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol.
- Climate Sensitive: The design of the vessel is also climate-sensitive. The ship is capable of carrying “pollution response equipment” to contain oil spills at sea.