List of Contents
What is the News?
The Union Defence Minister has reviewed the status of the Indian Navy’s Project Seabird at the Karwar Naval Base.
About Project Seabird:
- Project Seabird is the largest naval infrastructure project at Karwar, Karnataka.
- The project involves creation of a naval base at Karwar on the west coast of India.
- Upon completion, the project will provide the Indian Navy with its largest naval base on the west coast and also the largest naval base east of the Suez Canal.
Phases of the Project Seabird:
- Phase I comprises construction of a deep-sea harbour, breakwaters, dredging, a township, a naval hospital, dockyard uplift centre and a ship lift.
- Phase II was cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Security in 2012. It envisages expanding facilities to house additional warships and set up a new Naval Air Station among other plans.
- Furthermore, the Navy’s lone aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is also based at Karwar. The base also has the country’s first sealift facility, a unique shiplift and transfer system for docking and undocking ships and submarines.