The Telecom Commission was set up by the Government of India via a resolution in 1989 with administrative and financial powers of the Government of India to deal with various aspects of Telecommunications.
The Government, re-designated the ‘Telecom Commission’ as the ‘Digital Communications Commission’ in 2018.
- The Digital Communications Commission consists of a Chairman, four full time members, who are ex-officio Secretaries to the Government of India in the Department of Telecommunications and four part time members who are the Secretaries to the Government of India in the concerned Departments.
- The Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Telecommunications is the ex-officio Chairman of the Digital Communications Commission.
Functions: The Digital Communications Commission is responsible for:
- Formulating the policy of Department of Telecommunications for approval of the Government;
- Preparing the budget for the Department of Telecommunications for each financial year and getting it approved by the Government; &
- Implementation of Government’s policy in all matters concerning telecommunication.