- Recently, 499 new species have been discovered in India.
- Animal Discoveries 2016, New Species and Records, brought out by the Zoological Survey of India, and Plant Discoveries 2016, by the Botanical Survey of India revealed the fact.
Some Statistics on the New Species Discovered
- 313 animal species and 186 plant species have been discovered.
- India is one of the 17 mega-diversity countries and has nearly 6.42% of the global fauna.
- Of the recently discovered animal species, 258 are invertebrates and 55 vertebrates.
- Around 97 are insect species, 27 fish species, 12 species of amphibians, 10 species of Platyhelminthes, 9 of Crustacea and 6 of reptiles.
- There are also 61 species of moths and butterflies and 38 species of beetles.
- The new species were discovered in the four biological hotspots of the country viz. the Himalayas, the Northeast, the Western Ghats and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- For the first time number of animal species including protozoa crossed one lakh.
- A large number of species has also been updated during the last year.
- Along with 186 new plant species, seven new genera, four subspecies and nine new varieties have also been discovered.
- The new plant species were mostly discovered in the Western Ghats (17%), followed by the Eastern Himalayas (15%), the Western Himalayas (13%), the Eastern Ghats (12%) and the west coast (8%).
The Botanical Survey of India (BSI) is the apex research organization under the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India for carrying out taxonomic and floristic studies on wild plant resources of the country. It was established in 1890 with the objectives of exploring the plant resources of the country and identifying plant species… Continue reading What is Botanical Survey of India?
The Zoological survey of India is a subordinate organization of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India. It was established in 1916 as a national centre for faunistic survey and exploration of the resources. The headquarters is at Kolkata. The main activities of the ZSI are: Study of the fauna of states Fauna… Continue reading What is Zoological Survey of India?
The World Environment Day is celebrated every year on 5th It was designated by the UN General Assembly in 1972 on the first day ofUnited Nations Conference on the Human Environment The theme in 2017 was ‘Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator’. Canada… Continue reading World Environment Day