News: The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has made it mandatory for the Bharat Stage(BS) VI Vehicles to carry a one cm green sticker providing registration details.
- Bharat Stage(BS) norms: These are standards instituted by the Government of India in 2000 to regulate emission of air pollutants from motor vehicles.They are based on the European(EURO) emission standards.
- The standards and the timeline for implementation are set by the Central Pollution Control Board(CPCB) under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
Benefits of BS-VI Standards:
- Particulate matter(PM): BS-VI norms brings down the emission of particulate matter by almost 80% in case of petrol as well as diesel power plants.
- Sulphur content: Sulphur traces in BS-VI fuel is five times lower (10 ppm) as compared to sulphur traces in BS-IV fuel (50 ppm).
- Nitrogen Oxide Content: Nitrogen oxide level for BS-VI diesel engines and petrol engines will be brought down by 70% and 25% respectively.