- India’s proposed DNA data bank (used during crime investigations) will not permanently store details of people.
- In criminal cases, till the case is solved the DNA profile will remain in the bank.
- However, DNA details will be removed after judicial orders.
- These things will be specified in the rules.
- The rule will come after Parliament approves the DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill, 2016, last version of DNA profiling Bill, framed by the Department of Biotechnology.
- The Bill envisages a DNA profiling board and DNA data Bank.
- DNA regulation board:
- The board will certify labs authorized to carry out DNA testing and lay down procedure and guidelines for collection, storage, sharing and deletion of DNA information.
- The Secretary of the Department of Biotechnology has been made the ex-officio chairman of the proposed DNA Regulatory Board.
- DNA Data Bank:A National DNA Databank and certain regional DNA Databanks will store DNA profiles received from DNA labs in a specified format.
- The main purpose of the draft Bill are given below:
a)To establish an institutional mechanism to collect and deploy DNA technologies.
b)It will help in identifying persons based on samples collected from crime scenes or identify missing persons.