List of Contents
What is the News?
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology. It will safeguard the naval ships against enemy missile attack.
About Advanced Chaff Technology
- Chaff is a passive expendable electronic countermeasure technology. It is used worldwide to protect naval ships from enemy’s radar and Radio Frequency (RF) missile seekers.
- Significance: Under this technology, a very less quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as a decoy. It will deflect the enemy’s missiles for safety of the ships.
About the Advanced Chaff Technology Developed by DRDO:
- Defence Laboratory Jodhpur(DLJ), a DRDO laboratory has indigenously developed three variants of this chaff technology namely:
- Short Range Chaff Rocket(SRCR)
- Medium Range Chaff Rocket (MRCR) and
- Long Range Chaff Rocket(LRCR).
- Indian Navy has already conducted the trials of all three variants in the Arabian Sea on Indian Naval Ship and found the performance satisfactory.