What is the news?
Defence Research & Development Organisation(DRDO) has conducted the successful launch of Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM).
- The missile has been indigenously designed and developed by DRDO for the Indian Navy.
- Purpose: The missile will be used to neutralize various aerial threats at close ranges including sea-skimming targets.
- Sea skimming: It is a technique of flying as low as possible (always below 50 meters from sea level). This will make it hard to detect the flying object by radar, infrared detection techniques in ships. Further, it will reduce the probability of getting shot down while approaching a target. Many anti-ship missiles and some fighter or striker aircraft use this technique to avoid getting spotted.
Key Features of the VL-SRSAM:
- Range: VL-SRSAM has a strike range of about 40 km.
- It is an all-weather air missile system. It can provide point and area defence against various aerial targets like jets, fighter aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles.
- Point defence: defence of a single object or a limited area like an airfield, a harbour etc. It can achieve by short-range missiles
- Area defence: defence of a specific area or location. It requires medium to long-range missiles.
- The missile has a canister-based state of art weapon system that can identify, track, engage and destroy the target with a high kill probability.