What is the News?
Defence Research & Development Organisation(DRDO) has successfully flight-tested the New Generation Akash Missile(Akash-NG).
- Akash-NG is a New Generation Surface-to-Air Missile. It is developed by Defence Research & Development Laboratory(DRDL), Hyderabad in collaboration with other DRDO laboratories.
- Purpose: The Missile is capable of intercepting high manoeuvring low radar cross-section aerial targets.
Key Features of Akash NG Missile:
- Rocket Motor: Akash-NG uses a two-pulse solid rocket motor that replaces the old ramjet on the legacy Akash missile.
- The new motor not just reaches out to 30 kilometres (km), but also generates a high terminal velocity to strike even the fastest and most agile enemy fighters.
- Lighter Weight: The weight of the rocket has been brought down from 700 kg to 350 kg. This not just increases range, but also lets the vehicle carry more missiles.
- New Seeker Head: Akash-NG has a new seeker head. The seeker locks onto the enemy aircraft and continuously guides the missile to impact the target.
- Akash-NG detects enemy fighters at ranges out to 80 km and initiates the launch sequence.
- By the time the enemy aircraft is 50 km away, the Akash-NG’s computers have calculated the launch trajectory and impact point and launched the missile.
- In just over a minute, the missile blazes its way to the impact point 30 km away and destroys the target.