- Drought and heat waves all together has been engaging several researchers in India.
Why is it in news?
- Analysing rainfall and temperature data of 50 years, researchers have found that:
- the frequency of heatwaves accompanied by drought has increased not only in magnitude but in area too over the past three decades
- While heatwaves and droughts are destructive even when occurring in separate events, their concurrence is far more serious.
- A single extreme event may not be critical, but two extremes occurring at once is much more significant in the distress it causes.
What is the reason behind the phenomena?
- Researchers believe this could be due to the intricate relationship of land surface processes, soil moisture, evapo-transpiration and local climate.
- A spatial analysis reveals the area affected by the twin calamities is starkly increasing.
- With certain accuracy, these incidents can be predicted.
- This could contribute to policy making and ensure preparedness.
- Both phenomena have a serious bearing on water resources, affecting agriculture and human settlements.