What is the News? The Minister of State for Education will attend a consultation meeting of Education Ministers of E9 countries called the E9 Initiative.
About the E9 Initiative:
- Theme of the Meeting: “E9 initiative: Scaling up digital learning to accelerate progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 4”
- This consultation meeting will be the 1st of the 3 phase process to co-create a Digital Learning initiative. Marginalized children and youth, especially girls, would be the target population.
- The initiative will aim to accelerate recovery and advance the Sustainable Development Goal 4 agenda by driving rapid change in education systems.
- The initiative will also focus on three of the 2020 Global Education Meeting priorities namely: (i) support to teachers; (ii) investment in skills and (iii) narrowing of the digital divide.
About E9 Partnership:
- Launched in: 1993 at the UNESCO’s Education For All (EFA) Summit in New Delhi.
- Member Countries: The United Nations is spearheading the initiative with nine countries namely Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Nigeria, and Pakistan.
- Purpose: The E9 forum aims to achieve the goals of UNESCO’s Education For All(EFA) initiative. It strengthens political will and collective effort to ensure quality education and lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- The forum represents over half of the world’s population and 70% of the world’s illiterate adults.
- Significance: E-9 Initiative has become a forum for the countries to discuss their experiences related to education, exchange best practices, and monitor EFA-related progress.
About Education For All(EFA) Summit:
- Education For All(EFA) is a global movement led by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) with the aim to meet the learning needs of all children, youth, and adults.
- EFA was adopted by The Dakar Framework in 2000 at the World Education Forum in Senegal, Africa.