News:The fourth East Asia Summit(EAS) Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation will be held in Chennai,Tamil Nadu.
About the EAS conference on Maritime Security:
- The EAS Maritime Security Conference has been organized by the Government of India since 2015.
- The fourth conference is being organized by the Ministry of External Affairs(MEA) in partnership with the Governments of Australia and Indonesia.
- The National Maritime Foundation (NMF) and the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) are the knowledge partners of the Conference.
- The conference will deliberate upon maritime security cooperation under five thematic sessions namely a) Holistic Maritime Security b) Maritime Safety c) Transition to a Regional Blue Economy d) India’s Indo-Pacific Oceans’ Initiative and e) Way Forward.
About East Asia Summit:
- The East Asia Summit(EAS) was established in 2005.It is a forum of 18 countries.
- The concept of an East Asia Grouping was first promoted in 1991 by then Malaysian Prime Minister,Mahathir bin Mohamad.
- It comprises the ten member states of the ASEAN countries along with 8 members Australia, China, Japan, India, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States.
- The first summit was held in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia in 2005.India is a founding member of the East Asia Summit.