What is the News?
Union Minister of Education has presented the AICTE Lilavati Awards 2020 on women empowerment to the winners.
About Lilavati Awards:
- Lilavati Award is an initiative of the All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE). It aims to recognise efforts by AICTE-approved institutions to treat women with equality and fairness.
- Named after: The award has got its name after the 12th-century book called “Lilavati”. The Mathematician Bhaskara II wrote this book.
- Objective: The objective is to create awareness about issues like sanitation, hygiene, health, nutrition, literacy, employment, technology, credit, marketing, innovation, skill development, natural resources, and rights among women.
- Areas Covered: Women’s health, self-defence, sanitation, literacy, entrepreneurship, and legal awareness.
- Theme: Women Empowerment
- Prize: In each sub-category, the top three winners will receive award certificates as well as prize money.
- The first prize winner will get Rs. 1 lakh, the second winner will get Rs. 75,000 and the third winner will get Rs. 50,000.
- Significance: The award ensures the participation of women and enables them to hold higher positions in educational institutions.