What is the News?
The Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment has said that the Elderline is providing assistance to thousands of elderly persons. This was said on the occasion of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
Read Also :-Increasing old age population of India
- ELDERLINE was launched by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Purpose: It is a toll-free helpline number(Toll-Free Number-14567) for elderly persons. It aims to help elderly persons by extending emotional care, health and legal assistance through dedicated call centres.
- Coverage: The helpline has already been made operational in 5 major states (Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka). In Telangana, this facility has been working for more than a year.
- Organisations Involved: The helpline has been operationalised with the assistance of Tata Trusts and the NSE foundation.
- Significance: The helpline is functioning in a decentralised manner. It has state-wise call centres and central monitoring and knowledge evaluation.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day:
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day(WEAAD) is observed each year on June 15th.
- It was officially recognized by the United Nations in 2011 following a request by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA).
- Theme: “Access to Justice”.
Read Also :-KIRAN mental health rehabilitation Helpline