News:Union Minister for Home Affairs has launched the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) for Chandigarh police.
- The Emergency Response Support System(ERSS) is one of the key projects of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs under Nirbhaya Fund.
- The system has been designed to play a pivotal role in mitigation or preventing escalation of crime, especially against women and children.
- ERSS envisages a single pan-India emergency number ‘112’, which is an internationally recognised number to target all types of emergencies.
- The features of ERSS includes (a)computer aided dispatch of field resources to the location of distress and (b)Citizens can send their emergency information through call, sms through the 112 mobile app.
About Nirbhaya fund:
- The Nirbhaya fund scheme seeks to support initiatives by the government and NGOs working towards protecting the dignity and ensuring the safety of women in India.
- The fund was set up in 2013 in the aftermath of the gruesome gang-rape and murder in Delhi.
- The key schemes under the fund includes (a)Emergency Response Support System (b)Central Victim Compensation Fund (c)Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children (d)One Stop Scheme (e)Mahila Police Volunteer and (f)Universalisation of Women Helpline Scheme.