Source: Click here
News: International Energy Agency(IEA) has released the annual Energy Efficiency Report 2020.
- The slow pace of global progress on energy efficiency is set to slow further in 2020 as a result of the economic impacts of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Global primary energy intensity – a key indicator of how efficiently the world’s economic activity uses energy – is expected to improve by less than 1% in 2020, the weakest rate since 2010
- Investments in energy-efficient buildings, equipment and vehicles are also expected to decline by 9% in 2020.
- Shifts in urban transport from public transport to cars were also witnessed due to pandemic as people remained fearful of infection risk.
- International Energy Agency(IEA): It was established in 1974 as an autonomous intergovernmental organization under the OECD framework.
- Headquarters: Paris, France.
- Members: It has 30 member countries and eight association countries.India became an associate member in 2017.