Skip to content
- Directorate of Enforcement is a specialized financial investigation agency under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
- On 1 May 1956, an ‘Enforcement Unit’ was formed, in the Department of Economic Affairs, for handling Exchange Control Laws violations under Foreign Exchange Regulation Act, 1947.
- In the year 1957, this Unit was renamed as ‘Enforcement Directorate’.
- It is mandated with the task of enforcing the provisions of two special fiscal laws
- Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA)
- The Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA).